ACADEMIC HONESTY

Once upon a time there was a queen who was to visit dignitaries in a foreign country. She instructed her body guards that the visit was to be low key. Absolutely no press photographs were to be allowed.
One industrious photographer approached a body guard and asked, "For $1,000 could you step ever so slightly to the side as the queen arrives? I'll be in position to take a quick picture. She'll never know."
"Well,..," came the response, "I suppose that for $1,000 I could do that."
"Would you do it for $10?"
"TEN dollars! What kind of man do you think I am???"
"I have already found out what kind of man you are," replied the photographer, "Now I'm just trying to find your price."

Binghamton University takes the issue of Academic Honesty very seriously. Be assured that incidents of cheating, in any form, will be dealt with through the proper channels. They will not be ignored, no matter how "small" the infraction is perceived to be. Be aware that "proper channels" gives a great deal of leeway to instructors in deciding what penalties can be given to students who are guilty of dishonesty. It is not unprecedented for an instructor to give an "F" for the COURSE to a student who is caught cheating. An instructor could also decide to send the case to the University Academic Honesty Committee; students in this situation could be dismissed from school.

Dishonesty can take several forms.
  • It is NOT OK to take another person's work and present it as your own. This includes copying on tests or quizzes. This includes turning in copied homework. Infractions of this type are considered plagarism.
  • It is not OK to LET someone have your work to claim as his/her own. This is collusion and will be prosecuted.
  • In Math 108 we do not allow access to electronic devices during tests. Any attempt to do so will be considered an act of dishonesty.
  • Signing any name but your own on an attendance sheet is not OK.
  • Lying, or withholding/distorting truth from an instuctor is not OK.
    This is not an exhaustive list of possible acts of academic dishonesty. If you have a question as to the legality of an action, ask your instructor. If you are uncomfortable asking, then the action is probably not OK.

All students should be familiar with the published university policy on Academic Honesty, found here.